Below is a home remedy for stretch marks that really works. I came up with this cream recipe after having my little one and I must confess that I’ve never stopped using it… not because it didn’t work, it worked wonders…
This is one of many beauty recipes that I used, but I just loved the smell and the way it moisturized my skin (far better than any store bought moisturizer that’s for sure). Although stretch marks do eventually fade there’s nothing wrong with giving them a helping hand whilst improving the texture of our skin all in a very natural way.
The following homemade stretch mark cream is great and I highly recommend that you try it, but if you are short on time you could also make up a few easy oil remedies for stretch marks in less than a couple of minutes, Ie do this using a few essential oils and a little know how.
Ingredients for the DIY stretch mark cream
The lavender and lemon essential oils in the following home remedy for stretch marks have excellent healing powers on the skin. They help to reduce the redness of stretch marks and optimize the skins natural regenerative powers.
- 1/2 oz (15g) Beeswax
- 1/2 oz (15g) Cocoa butter
- 2 oz (50g) Coconut Oil
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) Evening Primrose Oil
- 1 teaspoons (5ml) Ylang Ylang essential oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (3ml) Lavender essential oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (2ml) Lemon essential oil
- 4 tablespoons (60ml) mineral water
- Heavy stainless steel saucepan
- Wooden spoon
- Dark or clear glass jars
How to make the homemade stretch mark cream:
- Over a low heat melt the beeswax, cocoa butter, coconut and evening primrose oils in a large, heavy based stainless steel saucepan.
- With a spoon beat in the spring water until you have a smooth mixture.
- Take the saucepan off the heat and stir it until it has cooled to body temperature (37 C).
- Add the ylang ylang, lavender and lemon essential oils then mix thoroughly to make a smooth cream.
- To stop the oil and water separating stir until the cream has completely cooled, then spoon into airtight jars. In order to ensure the essential oils are well preserved, clear jars need to be kept in a dark place.
- Massage the cream gently into your skin where your stretch marks are. Use this homemade stretch mark cream daily after either a bath or shower and your skin will feel softer after just a few days.
Stretch marks can appear at any time or at any age, my 15-year-old son had a growth spurt one year. He must have shot up about 4 inches in about 6 months leaving behind some purple-red stretch marks across his upper back.
As you could imagine this made him a bit self-conscious and although I had my lovely feminine ylang ylang smelling stretch mark cream (above) he requested something a little more macho.
Below are the results of his request and I have to say that those who have since tried it including my son have been overjoyed with the results.
Essential oils are excellent for treating any kind of skin problems and stretch marks are no exception. Stretch marks can be vastly improved to the point where they are hardly noticeable, by persistently applying the correct oils morning and night to the troubled spots on the skin.
I’ve seen this simple mix of oils work so many times and with amazing results and although the frankincense is one of the more costly of the oils, it’s definitely the most important oil of the batch for this job, so don’t skip it.
Mix the following oils together. Always use pure cold-pressed carrier oils as these are by far the best quality and tend be richer and more absorbent, which is particularly important when targeting individual skin conditions.
- 3 drops of Lavender essential oil.
- 2 drops of Frankincense essential oil.
- 2 drops of Sandalwood essential oil.
- 6 teaspoons (1fl oz-30ml) of Sesame Seed Oil.
To keep the oils from waning, store the mixed oils in a dark or clear glass bottle. If you are using a clear glass bottle to keep your oils in you will need to protect them from daylight by storing them in a dark cupboard or drawer.
I prefer to mix my oils as freshly as possible, so this is a fairly small batch that will last for about one week, if you would like to make a larger batch add a vitamin e capsule or a teaspoon of wheat germ oil as a preservative.
How To Use This Home Remedy For Stretch Marks
Massage the oil into warm skin morning and evening for at least two weeks. Use sparingly so that the sesame seed (carrier oil) is totally absorbed into the skin, if you try to smear your body like a sardine the oil will just be transferred on to your clothing and the oil will have been wasted.
If this is your first time using essential oils or if you happen to be on a bit of a budget and only want to splash out on just the one essential oil for now, make it the frankincense, mix 15 drops with 2fl oz (12 teaspoons) of sesame seed oil and use as above.
Did you use your own skin recipe? Tell me about it below.
I hope you enjoyed reading!
I would love to hear from you so please feel free to leave a comment or ask any questions below.