If you’ve read my 3 step home facial for glowing skin I probably don’t need to tell you how natural ingredients can do wonders for your skin! Today I’m going to show you how to whip up my clay face mask using cosmetic clay.
This is very different from my favorite homemade face mask recipe, its one of the best recipes I know to get your skin sparkling again! You can use it once a week to help clean and energize the skin by gently exfoliating and improving blood circulation.
About The Clay Face Masks
- Clay face masks can help treat blackheads, spots, and other blemishes by unblocking pores, alleviating toxins and balancing out or replenishing the naturally occurring oils of the face.
- I’ve found that the natural cosmetic clay itself has the capability to absorb any excess oils, grime and other unwanted toxins from the skin. As well as exfoliating and toning, it will also promote the growth of new cells! The active properties in herbs, oils, fruit powders, milks and essential oils will all give your diy mask even more benefits.
- All of the recipes below can be tailored to suit your own needs! If you have oily skin, go for green or yellow clay masks with the addition of organic fuller’s earth. Sensitive skin will thank you for using white or pink clay, as will dry skin.
- The recipes will last for 1 week without a preservative and 6 months with a preservative, but they must be stored in airtight containers. If I am using a preservative I usually double up on the recipe too, as the recipes below are only enough for a couple of treatments.
This clay face mask not only helps to combat those wrinkles and encourages new cell growth, but it also smells absolutely divine.
I’ve chosen white clay so that it’s gentle enough to be used on both sensitive and dry skin. I’ve added honey as well because it’s great for so many things! Its addition here can help moisturize the skin, kill bacteria and fight those evil wrinkles.
All the essential oils have been chosen specifically for their rejuvenating and regenerating qualities. They will brighten up dull and aging skin, leaving it looking fresh and nourished.
My Clay Face Mask
- Gather your ingredient together.
- Place the water into a clean bowl and add the preservative if using (see note on measuring & weighing small amounts).
- Sprinkle in the clay and leave to stand for a couple of minutes until the clay has begun to dissolve.
- Stir in the milk and honey.
- You can also add a little more water at this point until you reach a consistency that you are happy with.
- Add the essential oils.
- Transfer to an airtight container.
Some Variations On The Clay Mask
Green Clay Face Mask For Oily Skin
This Green Clay mask is packed full of minerals, smells fresh yet earthy and has a natural pale green colorant. I find this clay is particularly beneficial for problem or acne-prone skin, as it has wonderful cleansing abilities when teamed with the fuller’s earth. It will draw out any unwanted toxins or impurities and then shrink the pores to stop them getting back in.
Both the essential oils have been chosen to combat greasy skin for their wonderful ability to tone and balance out the oils.
- 20g Green cosmetic clay or 15g green clay and 5g Dead Sea mud
- 10g Fuller’s earth
- 30 g Distilled
- 0.5g Preservative (optional)
- 4 drops each of Lemon grass and Petitgrain essential oil
- Mini clip Jar
Thisface mask is made in the same way as mature skin mask, adding the fuller’s earth with the clay.
Healing Strawberry Face Mask For Sensitive & Dry skin
Pink clay, also known as rose clay, is particularly good at boosting circulation and removing dead skin cells. You’ll be left with a clean and healthy looking glow to the skin.
The fruit powder is packed with vitamins and enzymes and has all the same goodness as their fresh alternative only without the short shelf life!
Rose essential oil is one of the most expensive oils on the market but it’s also one of the most effective in skin care. It moistens and plumps up the skin, reducing fine lines and improving elasticity. It’s also known to stimulate the nervous system, naturally relieving anxiety. And of course let’s not forget about its heavenly floral scent. Packed full of vitamin A, carrot seed oil will help rejuvenate, smooth and soften skin.
- 25g Pink clay
- 5g Strawberry fruit powder
- 30g Distilled water
- 1 drop Carrot seed oil
- 4 drops Rose essential oil
- Mini clip Jar
This organic face mask made in the same way as mature skin mask, adding the strawberry fruit powder once the clay has been mixed with the water.
How To Use Your Face Mask
These clay face masks are so simple to use, and just take a couple of steps to get going.
- Make sure you cleanse your face, removing any traces of makeup. If you don’t wear makeup, do this regardless.
- I always rub a little lip balm on my lips before applying the mask as it stops them drying out. You can learn how to make your very own lip balm, or you could also use Vaseline.
- Using either a brush or a clean finger, apply a thin layer across the face, being careful to reach those creases around the nose and mouth. Be careful not to apply too closely around the eyes or on the eye lids; just stay out of this area altogether.
- At this point, you’ll want to let it dry for around 10-15 mins. If I’m on my own I’ll just get on with the laundry or something to occupy the time. If I’m with the girls I’ll mix up some frozen margaritas, cut some cucumber for our eyes and make a spa day of it!
- When it’s time to take it off, pull some faces and smile for a bit. This will help loosen old skin cells and crack the mask to make it easier to get it all off.
- Remove by rinsing with warm water. I wouldn’t leave it much longer than 10-15 minutes, as you won’t get any further benefits after that.
- You can use any of these face mask recipes once a week as maintenance.
How To Gift This DIY Face Mask
Homemade face masks make for very original and creative gifts, add a label and you are good to go.
There you have it! Some lovely clay face masks, now check out how to mix up some other recipes.
This regenerative face mask recipe is packed with lovely ingredients that will restore your skin to a youthful glow. The combination of two high-performance clays, along with the allantoin powder are the real heroes here.