Glitter soap can be as fun or subtle as you choose, for a delicate sparkling bar of glitter soap you will need to add the glitter once a skin has begun to form on the melted soap base or the glitter will sink towards the bottom of the mold (I’ve used this method in the fun lip gloss soaps bellow).
The Basic Sparkling Soap (Shown Above)
Ingredients (Makes 1 bar)
- 4 oz Clear glycerine Melt & pour Soap Base available at Amazon
- 10 drops Your favorite essential oil from this list
- ½ teaspoon cosmetic grade glitter
- Body safe dye
- Suitable soap mold
- Chop and Melt the clear glycerine soap base in a microwaveable bowl (see notes on melting soap).
- Mix in the essential oil and colorant.
- Let the soap sit until a film starts to form over the top and the soap begins to thicken, remove any skin that may have formed then stir in the glitter.
- Pour in to your soap mold and spray the top with rubbing alcohol if you have bubbles appearing in the soap.
Strawberry Scented Lip Gloss Soaps
These are made in the same way as the glitter bar above but add the glitter immediately after adding the colorant before a skin starts to form.
When you are using fancy molds where the shape requires perfection you need the soap to be warm and runny before pouring it into the molds, as with other additives glitter does sometimes cool and accelerate the hardening of the soap.
If the soap does start to harden once you have added the glitter you will have to reheat it in a double boiler as the microwave is obviously out of the question due to the metallic glitter.
Once the glitter soap has been poured into the molds give them a tap to release any bubbles, if bubbles still remain spray with a little rubbing alcohol.
Remove the soap after hardening, and protect with kitchen or shrink wrap.
Melt and Pour glitter soap is a lot of fun! What ingredients have you used for your MP soap?