Use this or one of my other wonderful homemade face scrub recipes once or twice per week to get that lovely soft skin you deserve, they are truly amazing and very gentle.
Small particles in the ingredients in this recipe are mildly abrasive to help gently remove dry and flaky skin. Once you’ve made this check back here as I’ll be posting how to make some of my best homemade facial cleanser recipes.
Watch Me Make Rose Face Scrub
Why Make Face Scrubs
- Exfoliating is your skin’s natural way to shed its dead skin cells. As your body makes new cells they get pushed forward eventually dislodging the old cells which fall off. Moisturising this flaky dead skin is a bit pointless as it won’t be absorbed. So, by using homemade exfoliating face scrubs you can remove all of the dead skin to reveal fresh new skin which you can happily cleanse and moisturize each day.
- After using this face scrub you should notice a reduction in the size of your pores and your skin will also have a healthy glow!
- This recipe will allow you to create something that is natural and suitable for your skin type.
- By saving money on store-bought scrubs you can apply the scrub liberally knowing that it cost you next to nothing to make!
The Shea Butter & Rose Face Scrub
- This face scrub is made using an oil and water emulsion where the emulsifying wax helps to combine oil and water which usually separates when mixing together.
- If you have sensitive skin limit your use to once every two weeks, for dry and normal skin types use it once per week and for oily skin use it twice per week.
- Your choice for a mild exfoliate is flexible here depending on what you enjoy, I used cranberry seeds but you can use other things like poppy seeds, jojoba beads, crushed almond shells, bamboo powder, oatmeal, sugar etc. You also have the option of using more for harder scrub or less for a gentler scrub.
- All of the face scrubs will keep for up to 12 months as long as you are using the preservative.
Shea Butter & Rose Face Scrub Recipe
Rate This ProjectPrint Comment Pin Share
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you buy via the links here I may earn a small affiliate commission at no cost to you.
- 15 g Shea Butter
- 20 g Apricot Kernel Oil
- 15 g Emulsifying Wax NF
- 35 g Rose Hydrosol
- 10 g Glycerine
- 1 g Preservative
- 10 drops Rosemary Essential Oil
- 5 g Cranberry seeds (Any other mild exfoliate is suitable here, poppy seeds, jojoba beads, crushed almond shells, bamboo powder, oatmeal, sugar etc)
- 1 Cosmetic Jar
- Gather all of your ingredients for the face scrub
- Use your digital scales to weigh the oils and wax then put them into a heatproof bowl.15 g Shea Butter, 20 g Apricot Kernel Oil, 15 g Emulsifying Wax NF
- Weigh the water, glycerine and preservative and place in another heatproof bowl. You will need a small digital scale to accurately measure 1 gram of preservative.35 g Rose Hydrosol, 10 g Glycerine, 1 g Preservative
- So, you should now have two jugs containing your seperate ingredients.
- Then stand both bowls in a pan of water, I didn't want to place the bowls directly on my pan base so I used two small metal tart tins.
- With hindsight, one larger tin would probably be better (if you have the correct size), but either way be sure that your bowls are standing firmly and stable as the water simmers.
- Stir the oils & wax gently until it has all melted. If you are using a preservative make sure the water/glycerine/preservative mix temperature does not exceed the recommended level usually around 65C (check the product instructions).Remove both bowls from the heat and combine them by pouring the water/glycerine mixture into the oil/wax mixture.
- Stir the mixture for 4 minutes (more if required).Leave the mixture to stand for a minute then stir again, repeat this until it cools down. If you see any separation place it back on the heat and stir harder until it combines again.
- Once it cools to lukewarm & thickens add the essential oils, and continue stirring for a few minutes more or until thoroughly combined.10 drops Rosemary Essential Oil
- Allow to cool, then add your exfoliating ingredients.5 g Cranberry seeds
- Stir in the exfoliating ingredients.
- Place in your jar or container but wait until completely cool before placing the lid on to avoid condensation.1 Cosmetic Jar
How To Use This Face Scrub
- The best way to use this is the same as using a face wash, apply it directly to the face. Gently massage in small circles paying attention to the sides of the nose, chin and forehead.
- Thoroughly rinse it off with water before using your homemade toner & moisturizer.
- As a general rule if you have oily skin use one of these scrubs twice per week, if you have dry skin use it once every two weeks.
- The shelf life for my face scrub recipes is around 4 weeks, or 12 months if you are using the preservative.