Here’s how to make parfum using citrus and woody notes which, when combined, create a wonderfully rich and rustic fragrance. It’s one of many DIY perfumes that I’ve made before, and I’ve noticed that the more it matures, the better it smells.
As with all perfumes and colognes, store-bought or homemade, they can smell differently on each individual.
I remember being told once by a perfumer that you should spray the perfume up in front of you and walk into it rather than spraying it straight on yourself. I’m not a hundred percent sure why, but I’m guessing that it gives you a wider spread of perfume.
Making Eau de Parfum
Eau de parfum is one of the most common types of homemade perfume. It is made using around 15-20% essential oils and therefore has an intense aroma. This type of fragrance usually lasts for around five hours making it a great choice to wear for brunch with friends, or an evening out with your significant other.
I always find that Eau de parfum is a good middle ground, not too overpowering like a neat perfume but stronger than an Eau de toilette or cologne.
Watch How To Make Parfum
I have used alcohol in this perfume recipe, however, if you would prefer not to, take a look at my all oil perfume recipes.
Most designer perfumes on the market are made using alcohol. The reason for this is to dilute the ingredients so that they are suitable for use on the skin. Alcohol is less likely to affect the formula and also helps to disperse the perfume molecules. The alcohol will allow your perfume to be smelled by others more effectively, as opposed to an all oil perfume that stays close to the body.
The Essential Oils
In this recipe, I will be working solely with essential oils to keep it as natural as possible. Most store-bought perfumes contain a mixture of essential oils and synthetic aroma chemicals, mainly to keep the price down!
A Fruity Citrus Blend
The citrus notes within this perfume bring a fresh and zesty scent which is ideal for springtime. Citrus fragrances are known for making you feel happy by relieving stress and anxiety as well as aiding digestion.
Benzoin comes from the bark of styrax trees and has a rich sweet and smoky aroma. It is a great fixative and so is very popular within the perfuming industry.
Cedarwood Is one of the oldest essential oils to be used in perfumery. It’s a very grounding oil that combines wonderfully with citrus notes by providing a warm undertone.
How To Make Parfum At Home Using Essential Oils – Golden Grove Recipe
- 30 grams Perfumer's Alcohol (or pure grain alcohol, Everclear)
- 30 drops Lemon Essential Oil
- 20 drops Bergamot Essential Oil
- 20 drops Orange Essential Oil
- 10 drops Grapefruit Essential Oil
- 10 drops Lemongrass Essential Oil
- 8 drops Benzoin Essential Oil
- 4 drops Cedarwood Essential Oil
- 1 30ml (1 oz) Glass Perfume Bottle
- Pour your alcohol into the container30 grams Perfumer's Alcohol
- Add the essential oils to the alcohol30 drops Lemon Essential Oil, 20 drops Bergamot Essential Oil, 20 drops Orange Essential Oil, 10 drops Grapefruit Essential Oil, 10 drops Lemongrass Essential Oil, 8 drops Benzoin Essential Oil, 4 drops Cedarwood Essential Oil
- Stir slowly ensuring the oils are completely dispersed
- Leave for around 3 weeks to allow the perfume to mature. It's best to use a tinted glass jar with a lid for this, otherwise store in glass or PET plastic and out of direct sunlight (somewhere cool and dark is best)
- Filter the perfume through a coffee filter to get rid of any sediment, I found that sometimes it has some sedimentand sometimes not, so best to filter to be on the safe side.
- Use a funnel to pour your perfume into your glass perfume bottle. Your perfume is now ready for use.1 30ml (1 oz) Glass Perfume Bottle
Making Eau de Toilette
Eau de toilette contains a lower percentage of essential oils, usually between 5-10%, making it a cheaper option.
It is also a very popular type of perfume but it does not last as long, probably around three hours.
If you would prefer to try an Eau de toilette then you will need the same ingredients and the method is the same. You just need to amend your drops of essential oils as below:
- 15 drops Lemon essential oil
- 10 drops Bergamot essential oil
- 10 drops Orange essential oil
- 5 drops Grapefruit essential oil
- 5 drops Lemongrass essential oil
- 4 drops Benzoin essential oil
- 2 drops Cedarwood
Cologne is predominantly used for masculine scents as it has a lower essential oil percentage, about 3-5%, which produces a lighter fragrance. However, any perfume can be made milder by reducing the essential oil content.
A cologne typically lasts for around two hours. The general method for this is no different from any of the other perfume recipes on this page. I have a full tutorial and video on how to make a cologne, but for the purpose of this recipe, you just need to amend your drops of essential oils as below:
- 8 drops Lemon essential oil
- 5 drops Bergamot essential oil
- 5 drops Orange essential oil
- 3 drops Grapefruit essential oil
- 3 drops Lemongrass essential oil
- 2 drops Benzoin essential oil
- 1 drops Cedarwood
The Eau de parfum should be strong and long-lasting due to its high percentage of essential oils and alcohol content.
It’s great for the springtime with its elegant and refreshing top-note citrus. The citrus top note blends perfectly with the woody base note bringing richness and warmth to the fragrance.
If you want to learn more take a look at how to make perfume in many other ways.
How to Make Perfume At Home – A Guide For Beginners
Sit back and relax as I show you how to make perfume using my tried & tested blends. Each recipe comes with its own video, I love them, and I hope you do too.