Homemade sour cream is quickly becoming a staple ingredient in my kitchen. Below you will find several recipe variations that I have to hand if I need to make a quick dip for unexpected company, or to thicken sauces.
- Store bought sour cream can often contain rennet, gelatine, artificial flavors, sodium citrate and salt. If you suffer from food allergies or if you prefer to know what goes into your food, then make your own homemade sour cream it’s quick and it’s easy.
- Sour cream can bring a wonderful flavor and texture to many recipes. Add a little to some mashed potatoes for the creamiest mash you’ve ever eaten.
- Replace regular cream with sour cream in an Alfredo sauce for a lovely tang. And a baked potato isn’t complete without a dollop of this fresh sour cream that’s so easy to make.
Easy Homemade Sour Cream Recipe
Making homemade sour cream doesn’t take long and you’ll really notice the difference in taste compared to the store bought variety.
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
Mix heavy cream and buttermilk in a screw-top jar. Allow the mixture to stand at room temperature overnight until it thickens. Chill sour cream well before using then store in the fridge.
Traditional Homemade Sour Cream Recipe
No matter whether you want to make sweet or savory meals or just add a twist to an old favorite recipe, this sour cream has a marvelous texture and taste that will complement most recipes.
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon buttermilk
Put all the ingredients into a food processor and process until your sour cream thickens and turns completely smooth. Chill before use and store in the fridge.
Low Fat Sour Cream Recipe
- 2 tablespoons skim milk (reduced fat)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
Place all ingredients into a blender and blend well until it becomes smooth and creamy. Chill before using and store in and air-tight container in the fridge.
Vegan Non-Dairy Sour Cream
This vegan non-dairy sour cream is much lower in fat than regular sour cream and is lower in cholesterol too. If you still want to enjoy the taste of sour cream in your cooking, but don’t want to use dairy products, then this recipe is ideal.
- 1/4 lb (110g) silken tofu, patted dry
- 1/4 lb (110g) firm tofu, patted dry
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
Place all the ingredients into a food processor and blend until they become smooth and creamy. Store non-dairy sour cream in a sealed container in the fridge.
The Alternative Sour Cream Recipe
- 1 quart whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 packet Knox gelatine
Whip all ingredients well until sour cream thickens to the texture of stiff whipped cream. Chill before using sour cream and store in the fridge.
Soft Cheese Sour Cream Recipe Variation
- 1 1/3 cup softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Mix all ingredients together well. Chill sour cream before using and store in a sealed, air-tight container in the fridge.