It’s possible to create your own homemade wedding decorations that look lovely and add a personalized touch to your special day while saving you some money at the same time.
Every little girl dreams about the ideal, romantic wedding day where everything is perfect and it all runs smoothly.
If you’ve ever tried to organize a wedding, you’ll already know that the moment you say the word ‘wedding’, the price of everything you order goes through the roof.
There’s absolutely no reason why you can’t have the perfect, romantic wedding day without having to break the budget.
Besides, many of the wedding decorations look far more romantic and personal than some of the commercial store-bought trinkets, so be a little creative and make your special day one to remember.
Here are some suggestions to make your own wedding decorations:
Romantic Wedding Table Centerpiece
This simple wedding table centerpiece is incredibly romantic and so easy to make yourself. It looks lovely and adds a soft lighting effect to your reception area that everyone will love.
You will need:
- Glass bowl on a glass pedestal
- Rose petals to match or compliment your wedding party colors
- Floating candles
- Curling ribbon to match or compliment your wedding party colors
- Place a glass bowl in the center of each reception table and fill with fresh water.
- Tie some curling ribbon around the pedestal base to tie in your color theme and curl the ends.
- Place some floating candles into the water. You’ll need three or four floating candles per bowl for a soft, romantic lighting effect.
- Sprinkle rose petals into the water around the candles and be sure to sprinkle a few on the table around each bowl as well.
- Have someone light the candles just before the guests arrive at the reception party and enjoy the soft romantic light all evening long.
Wedding Center Piece Ideas
Effective Wedding Reception Decorations
Decorating your wedding reception doesn’t need to be expensive in order to look great.
The most effective decorations are usually the simplest homemade wedding decorations, so don’t be tempted to go over the top in your attempt to make everything perfect.
The idea of decorating your wedding reception is to be sure it all looks lovely, but the bridal party is supposed to be the center of attention, not the price tag on your decorations. If you swathe your reception area in soft white and then add touches of romance and color to the back drop, your decorations will be remembered as complimenting the wedding party instead of outshining them.
The most effective way to give your reception area an instantly romantic feel is with candles. Soft candlelight lends a romantic feel to any area, so add candles to every table. You could choose floating candles or larger candles in different sizes and colors to match your wedding party colors.
Another excellent way to tie your wedding party’s color scheme into your reception area is with simple ribbons. A neatly tied ribbon around each seat or seat covering that matches your chosen colors ties your themes together beautifully. Tie more of the same colored ribbon around any wedding favors, napkin holders and table centerpieces to be sure your entire area is blended together.
The original wedding favors were called bomboniere.
They were originally an Italian tradition of giving out gifts on special occasions to guests. The original bomboniere was a piece of tulle fabric or lace with five sugared almonds inside to represent health, wealth, happiness, fertility and long life.
Of course, as the wedding industry expanded, the wedding favors became more elaborate and way more expensive. You can make your own wedding favors that look lovely as place settings, give you a very personalized way to thank your guests and don’t cost the earth.
You will need:
- White Tulle fabric
- White sugared almonds
- Colored curling ribbon to match the colors of your wedding party
- Printing card
- For these homemade wedding decorations use a small plate to trace a circle on your tulle and cut around it. If you want ruffled edges on your fabric, you could cut the circles out using pinking shears.
- Place five sugared almonds in the center of the tulle and gather the fabric up to form a small pouch.
- Tie your colored ribbon around the pouch, leaving plenty of fabric gathered at the top.
- Tie the ribbon in a pretty bow and curl the ends.
- Set your computer’s printer to print out multiple wedding announcement notices, including your thanks to your guests, on the same decorative piece of card.
- Cut them into smaller tags and punch a hole at one end of each tag.
- Thread a little ribbon through the hole and then tie each tag to the wedding favor.
- Place each wedding favor on the place setting for every guest to give your reception setting a lovely personalized feel.
Check out more of our Homemade Wedding Favor ideas