Most commercial anti-dandruff shampoos work by striping the top layer of the scalp completely, so as not to leave any flakey skin behind. This can be very drying to your scalp and will eventually only cause more problems.
By mixing a few essential oils to a mild baby shampoo you will not only have dandruff free hair but you will probably save quite a few dollars too.
Apart from leaving your hair shiny and dandruff free, this shampoo will soothe and tone the scalp too.
What you will need:
- 10 floz (300ml) mild baby shampoo (any brand will do)
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 5 drops tea tree essential oil
- 5 drops rosemary essential oil
Simply add the essential oils to the baby shampoo and shake.
If the baby shampoo came in a clear bottle it’s best to store it in a dark place to protect the oils from losing their qualities.
Itchy Scalp Shampoo
Apart from having dandruff or psoriasis an itchy scalp could be a result of a mild allergic reaction. Or simply just from the scalp drying out, this being the case you could try putting a humidifier in your home or using this homemade dandruff shampoo that’s been especially designed for an itch scalp.
This shampoo is very soothing if you suffer from an itchy scalp.
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) chamomile flowers
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) unfragranced shampoo base (readily available online or from some pharmacists and beauty stores)
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) calendula tincture
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) wheatgerm oil
- Cover the chamomile flowers with the shampoo base, in a small bowl and leave over night.
- Remove the flowers.
- A bit at a time, add the tincture and wheatgerm oil.
- Pour it into a Stoppard bottle.
- Use this shampoo as you would a normal shampoo, rubbing it into the roots of your hair, and make sure to use within 1 month.
A DIY Shampoo Bar
This is a great homemade dandruff shampoo that will leave your hair shiny and well conditioned. The essential oils will stimulate your scalp and help to prevent dandruff.
Update: I now recommend the therapeutic homemade shampoo because all the ingredients used in this shampoo bar are so good for the skin, and you can wash your entire body with this too.
Ingredients For Your Dandruff Cure
- 24.5 oz (700g) Olive Oil
- 3.5 oz (100g) Sweet Almond Oil
- 2 1/2 oz (60g) Beeswax
- 2 oz (55g) creamed coconut
- 9 fl oz (270ml) mineral water
- 6 handfuls of Dried Nettle Leaf
- 4 1/2 oz (113g) Lye (Sodium Hydroxide/Caustic Soda)
- 1 fl oz (22ml) Bergamot essential oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (8ml) Lavender essential oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (8ml) Lemongrass essential oil
Before you begin making this homemade shampoo, take a moment to read The Cold Process Method. In this overview you will see photos and obtain a good feel for the basic soap making procedure. The page importantly describes how to quicken the trace stage (thickening stage) using a stick blender.
- In Step 5 – Add any fragrance or textures at light trace