Most commercial anti dandruff shampoos work by striping the top layer of the scalp completely, so as not to leave any flakey skin behind. This can be very drying to your scalp and will eventually only cause more problems.
By mixing a few essential oils to a mild baby shampoo you will not only have dandruff free hair but you will probably save quite a few dollars too.
Apart from leaving your hair shinny and dandruff free, this shampoo will sooth and tone the scalp too.
What you will need
- 10 floz (300ml) mild baby shampoo (any brand will do)
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 5 drops tea tree essential oil
- 5 drops rosemary essential oil
Simply add the essential oils to the baby shampoo and shake.
If the baby shampoo came in a clear bottle it’s best to store it in a dark place to protect the oils from losing their qualities.
Itchy Scalp Shampoo
Apart from having dandruff or psoriasis an itchy scalp could be a result of a mild allergic reaction. Or simply just from the scalp drying out, this being the case you could try putting a humidifier in your home or using this homemade dandruff shampoo that’s been especially designed for an itch scalp.
This shampoo is very soothing if you suffer with itchy scalp.
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) chamomile flowers
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) unfragranced shampoo base (readily available on line or from some pharmacists and beauty stores)
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) calendula tincture
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) wheatgerm oil
- Cover the chamomile flowers with the shampoo base, in a small bowl and leave over night.
- Remove the flowers.
- A bit at a time, add the tincture and wheatgerm oil.
- Pour it into a Stoppard bottle.
- Use this shampoo as you would a normal shampoo, rubbing it into the roots of your hair, and make sure to use within 1 month.
We hope you enjoyed learning how to make shampoo. Now click here for another homemade dandruff cure