These homemade Christmas tree decorations are quick, inexpensive and very easy to make. You can make them in any shape you like.
Over the years I’ve made boots, bells, angels, Santa’s and even gingerbread men. So don’t feel you need to keep to the tree, star or heart shaped ones you see in these photos.
Making The Homemade Christmas Tree Decorations
What You Will Need
- Pinking shears
- Buttons, sequins or gems
How To Make Them
- Draw and then cut out 2 felt shapes using pinking shears, then draw the same shape in a smaller size and cut that one out with plain scissors.
- Using fabric glue attach the smaller shape to one of the larger shapes and then secure it even more by sewing it on. Next sew on some lightweight buttons, sequins or gems for decoration.
- Pin the two larger shapes together trapping the ribbon between the top of the felt shapes then stitch all the way around, leaving a small gap that’s just big enough to push some stuffing through.
- Hang the decorations on the Christmas tree and enjoy!
Homemade Christmas Tree Stockings
You can make small Christmas tree stockings to decorate the tree or larger stockings to hang from the fireplace.
What You Will Need
- Red felt
- One or more of the following cotton wool, white felt, fur or toy stuffing
- To make a small decorative Christmas tree stocking, draw the shape of a stocking onto your red felt and cut out carefully.
- Trim the top of the stocking by gluing some cotton wool across the top. When the glue is dry, punch a hole at the top of the stocking and thread it through with ribbon.
- If you prefer to make a Christmas stocking that you can fill with treats or a larger one to hang from the fireplace, draw a stocking onto your red felt. Cut it out and then trace around the first stocking to create a second and cut this one out too.
- If using felt or fur for the stocking trim. Cut two thin strips the same length as the top of the stocking shape and then glue them on with fabric glue. (You can use pinking scissors to create a fancy edge as I have but they look just as good with a straight edge).
- Using blanket stitch, sew the edges of the stocking together leaving an opening at the top. Glue some cotton wool or toy stuffing around the top to decorate it and sew a piece of ribbon on, to hang it with.
- You can personalize your stocking by writing a name on it using a glitter-pen or try stitching the edges in a brightly contrasting color.