by Kelly (Hampshire)
This Halloween brain decoration went down a treat on the table at our Halloween party last year, it looked so life like it really freaked the kids out.
It only took half an hour to make and once it’s made it will keep for a day or two, so don?t feel you need to knock it up just before the party (as I did), take your time and have some fun.
This year I might try adding some creepy sour snakes or a bit of red jelly oozing out of the gaps.
What I used
1 water melon – sharp knife – wooden Skewer – vegetable peeler
Making the brain
- Peel the water melon with the vegetable peeler, then cut the bottom off it to stop it from rolling away from you whilst working on it.
- Using the wooden skewer mark out the two halves of the brain, mark it lengthways from one end to the other, then cut out a good inch in both width and depth.
- Mark out a few squiggly furrows that bear a resemblance to folded surface of the brain, start from the centre and travel down the melon, use the knife to carve out some of the white fleshy part of the melon in the marked areas exposing some of the pink fruit from beneath.
- Work on one section at a time and watch your brain take shape.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
If you have a particularly large water melon try cutting it in half and making two brains.
Hope you like my Halloween brain decoration!