by Kelly Wills (United Kingdom)
There are many great porridge recipes around, but this one is probably my all time favorite. This basic porridge recipe enables you to add all sorts of ingredients to it, giving you many variations.
I’m reluctant to add that I’ve even added lumps of cheese to it on an evening when the cupboards were looking a little bare. And what may surprise you even more is that it tasted pretty good! As you may have noticed I have a bit of a weakness for a good or unusual porridge recipe so if you happen to have one I’d love to hear it.
What you will need:
- 1 cup of porridge oats
- 2 1/2 cups of either milk or water or a mix of both
- Pinch of salt
- Sugar or sweetener to taste
- A handful of fruit such as banana, strawberries, blueberries, dates or figs
- 2 or 3 tablespoons of yogurt (any flavor)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Place the milk/water into a sauce pot along with the oats and salt and bring to the boil.
- Simmer on a low heat until most of the liquid has been absorbed. This usually takes around 5 minutes. Stirring regularly so as not to stick to the bottom.
- Have a quick taste and sweeten with a little sugar, sweetener, or honey. Keep in mind that the toppings you will be adding to it may also sweeten it slightly.
- Divide the porridge into two bowls and top with the fruit, yogurt and a teaspoon of honey.
Another simple method is to place the milk/water the oats and salt into a heat proof dish. Give it a good stir then microwave for 5 minutes, stirring half way through. Again, divide the porridge then add your fruit & honey.