Everyone loves baking and there’s nothing better than a rich, moist homemade cake to serve with coffee or for dessert or just as a treat. You simply can’t buy tastes this good and it’s really easy to make.
Homemade Chocolate & Coffee Cake Recipe
The following homemade chocolate cake recipe is very rich and is incredibly moist. You can make two larger cakes or this recipe will also make around 35-40 cupcakes if you prefer.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups cocoa
- 2 1/2 cups strong coffee (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350F (175C) and line 2 cake pans with wax paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a mixing bowl and leave aside for a moment.
- Brew a strong pot of coffee and allow to cool down to room temperature. You’ll need 2 1/2 cups of strong coffee.
- Whisk the cocoa into your cooled coffee until there are no lumps of cocoa left.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter with a beater for about a minute. Add the oil and beat for another minute.
- Then add the brown sugar and white sugar and beat for approximately 10 minutes until the sugar begins to dissolve and the butter becomes light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and beat them into the mixture well. Mix in the vanilla extract and then you’ll need to add small portions of the coffee/cocoa mixture and the flour mixture alternatively until they’re gone. After each addition, beat thoroughly and be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl at regular intervals.
- Pour cake mix into the prepared baking pans and bake for 25 minutes. If you’re making cupcakes instead, these only need to bake for 20 minutes. You can check if your cakes are ready by sticking a skewer into the center. If it comes out clean, your cake is cooked properly.
- Remove from the oven and leave cakes in the pan to cool for a couple of minutes before taking them out of the pans. Leave them to cool on a wire rack.
- You can spread your homemade chocolate cake with your choice of the frostings below and serve.
Below we’ve supplied the frosting alternatives you might like to try! Chocolate butter frosting tastes amazing with this rich chocolate cake and peanut butter frosting is a nice complimentary touch to the moist chocolate.
Homemade Chocolate Butter Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- In a small saucepan, heat the butter, cocoa and milk until they begin to boil.
- Remove from the heat and add the powdered sugar and mix in well.
- Continue stirring until the sugar is mixed in thoroughly.
- Spread over your cakes and sprinkle some chopped nuts lightly over the top.
- Leave the cake aside until the icing sets.
Peanut Butter Frosting
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a small saucepan, heat the butter, milk and sugar until they begin to boil.
- Add the peanut butter and vanilla and stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Remove from the heat and spread over the top and sides of your chocolate cake.
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons milk
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the shortening and vanilla on a medium speed.
- Continue beating as you add half of the powdered sugar a little bit at a time.
- Then slowly add half of the milk.
- When this is beaten together well, add the remaining powdered sugar slowly and then slowly drizzle in more milk until your frosting reaches the thickness and consistency you prefer.
Using the vanilla frosting recipe above as a base, add 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder at the same time as you’re adding the powdered sugar.
Homemade Strawberry Shortcake Recipes
The base for this homemade strawberry cake recipe can be made a few days in advance if stored in a airtight container, leaving only the topping to think about.
Why not try serving some of the strawberries dipped in melted white or milk chocolate to make it extra special.
For The Shortcake Base:
- 11/2 cups (175g) All purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/3 cup (75g) Sugar superfine or caster if possible
- 1/3 cup(100g) Unsalted Butter chilled and cubed
- 1 Egg yolk
- 1 tbsp Rose water or a few drops of vanilla flavoring
For The Filling:
- 1 pound (450g) Fresh strawberries
- 2 tbsp Orange juice
- 2 cups (500ml) Heavy (double /whipping cream)
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp confectioners (icing) sugar
Making Your Homemade Strawberry Shortcake
- Lightly grease 2 baking sheets and pre heat oven to 375f / 190c.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and salt together in to a large bowl.
- With your fingers rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar rose water/vanilla flavoring and egg yolk in to the mixture and work it together to produce a soft dough. Divided the dough into two, and roll each piece of dough to a 8inch ( 20cm) round.
- Place each round on the greased baking sheet and crimp the edges of the dough.
- Bake for 15 minutes until lightly browned. Transfer to a wire cooling rack and leave to cool.
Making The Topping
- Remove the green hulls from the strawberries. Slice fruit and place in a bowl. Sprinkle over the orange juice and sugar. Cover and leave to chill.
- Whip the cream until it just holds its shape then fold in 1 tablespoon of confectioners (icing) sugar.
- Cover one of the short cake rounds with half the strawberries. Spoon over the cream then add the remaining strawberries saving a few for decoration.
- Gently press the remaining shortcake round on top. Decorate with the saved strawberries and dust with confectioners (icing) sugar.
Homemade Red Velvet Cake Recipe
This homemade red velvet cake recipe makes a distinctive deep red-brown cake that is as rich as it is delicious.
Regardless of the many theories as to its origin, a red velvet cake is really a lot like a Devil’s Food Cake with red food coloring added to it.
No matter where it came from or how it was adapted, Red Velvet cake is still a lovely, rich cake that is not only perfect for Valentine’s Day or Christmas, but is also a great treat at any time of the year.
Ingredients – Cake
- 2 1/2 cups sifted flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Ingredients – Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 8 oz (225 grams) cream cheese
- 8 oz (225 grams) Marscapone cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Before you begin your red velvet cake recipe, grease 2 round cake pans with a little butter and line the bottoms with cooking paper. Preheat your oven to 350 F (175 C).
- In a mixing bowl, sift the flour, salt and cocoa powder together. Put these aside for a moment.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar with a hand mixer until butter turns soft. The sugar will then begin to make the butter light and fluffy.
- Add one egg and beat until mixed thoroughly. Then add the other egg and beat until that one’s blended in too. Add the vanilla extract and combine well into the mixture.
- Use a different container and whisk the buttermilk and the red food coloring together.
- You should have three separate bowls or containers to work with. The main bowl is the one with the sugar, butter and egg mixture. You’ll be adding the other ingredients into this bowl.
- Now slowly begin to add a little of the flour mixture into the butter and egg mixture. When it’s blended in, add a little of the buttermilk mixture into the butter and egg.
- Alternate between the flour and buttermilk mixtures and add a little of each at a time into the main bowl until it’s all blended together.
- Combine the vinegar and baking soda together in a small cup until it fizzes. Fold this quickly into your cake mix.
- Transfer your cake mix evenly into the cake pans and smooth the tops of the cake mix with a spatula or the back of a spoon.
- Bake your cakes in your preheated oven for 30 minutes, then remove from the oven.
- Leave the cakes to cool inside the pan but on a wire rack for 10 minutes. This will help you remove the cake more easily without it crumbling and breaking at the bottom.
- After 10 minutes, remove them from the pans and cool them on wire racks.
- When they’re completely cooled, wrap each cake in plastic wrap and leave them in the freezer while you make the frosting. This step will help the frosting and filling spread better without ruining or crumbling the cake.
Frosting For The Homemade Red Velvet Cake Recipe
Use a large mixing bowl and mix together the cream cheese and Marscapone with a hand blender until they’re smooth. Then add the vanilla and icing sugar and blend again until the mixture is smooth.
In another bowl, blend the cream until it begins to form stiff peaks. Use a spatula to gently fold the cream into the cheese mixture.
Assembling Your Homemade Red Velvet Cake
Take your cakes out of the freezer and use a serrated knife or a bread knife to cut the cakes horizontally in half. You should now have 4 cake pieces.
Place one piece of cake onto a serving platter with the face down. Then spread the top of the first cake layer with the cheese mixture. Place another piece of cake onto the first and then spread more cheese mixture on the top. Continue making layers and then complete the cake by frosting the top and sides until the cheese mixture is gone.
Homemade Banana Split Cake
by Kyriana Treadway (Midwest, US)
This is a very easy dessert recipe that requires no baking so the kids love to help. A table knife will slice bananas so the kids can really feel like they have contributed to dinner, a birthday or family party.
2 cups Graham Crackers (about 30 crushed)
1 stick Margarine
1/4 cup Sugar
Mix: Spread in 13×9 pan
2 cups Powdered sugar
1 stick Margarine
Beat with mixer and spread over Layer 1
3 or 4 Bananas, sliced
20 oz Crushed pineapple, well drained
9 oz Cool whip tub
Cherries and nuts, optional
Chocolate graham crackers and a layer of sliced strawberries might give a more banana split cake flavor. Also, drizzling chocolate syrup on top will give a little different flavor.
Now check out some lovely homemade ice cream recipes and serve one with your cake!