Here are some ideas for simple home made kids toys. Try a touch and feel book, a hide n seek puzzle or have some fun making your own unique marbles out of clay!
This clay recipe for marbles is one I’ve used on many occasions and it’s very simple. The finnished clay can also be stored in airtight containers until it is ready to be used.
What You Need
- 4 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 cup of salt
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- In a large bowl mix all ingredients together, then work it until it develops into a good molding consistency.
- Next…..Yes you’ve guessed it, take a marble size piece of clay and work it in the palm of your hand until its smooth and round.
- Place each marble on a nonstick baking sheet and cook in the oven at 350-degrees for about 50 minutes or until they develop a light brown tint, then allow to cool completely.
- If you are not completely happy with the smoothness of your marbles use a fine sand sheet to perfect them.
- paint and decorate in your own style and for an extra special finish use a good clear varnish forshine and strength.
Homemade Touch And Feel Book
Build your child’s tactile awareness making your own touch and feel book using all kinds of interesting textures for your child to feel.
What You Need
- Materials with different textures, like sponge, sandpaper, and pieces of different fabrics such as satin and fur.
- Cardboard /poster board
- Hole punch
- Yarn/key ring
- Cut out the pieces of fabric and glue each of them separately to a piece of cardboard.
- Punch holes in the cardboard and tie the pieces together with yarn to make a book.
- Alternatively you can use a key ring to hold the book together, this way you can add or take off pages easily.
- Try using the same home made simple method with family photos. You can “dress and tress” these photos, attaching yarn, wool, or silk for hair and cotton and denim pieces for clothing.
- Encourage your child to touch the different textures, describing how each feels.
Hide n Seek Puzzle
If your going on a long car journey or just want to keep the children entertained for a few hours then this is the puzzle for you, and its so simple to make…
What You Need
- Some small items from around the house. colored buttons, beads, hair clip, a key and marbles etc
- Rice or very small beads
- A good size plastic bottle, a soda or juice bottle will do as long as the neck is wide enough to get your items in
- Make a list of all the items you have decided to use and place them in the bottle. Fill the bottle with the rice or beads then replace the cap and give it a good shake.
- As the items are found cross them of the list.
- To add a twist maybe put a time limit on how fast they can find the items. I normally get at least another hours peace out of this one.