Homemade Stew and Casserole Recipes
There are many different variations and recipes for homemade stew and homemade casseroles. No matter which of these recipes you use, they will always come out tasting great
Traditional Homemade Stew Recipes
Hearty Homemade Beef Stew
A popular choice. Not only are these homemade stews easy to make, they are filling and really healthy for you. Check out these simple beef stew recipes, italian, chili and more...
Healthy Irish Stew Recipe
Here is a wonderful and healthy Irish Stew Recipe.... This is a perfect homemade lamb stew recipe for a busy person as it only takes a few minutes to prepare....
Chicken Stew Recipes
Here are two heart warming chicken stew recipes that only take a few minutes to prepare, check out our chicken barley stew and spiced chicken stew....
Other Interesting Homemade Stew Recipes
Homemade Fish Stew - Fed up with the usual meaty stews?
Coq au Vin - A classic French stewed chicken recipe.
Winter Broth - A tasty recipe for lamb stew.
Vegetable Goulash recipe - Hungary's most popular dish.
Florida Chicken recipe - Took this recipe from my grandmother, it's made in one pot.
Homemade Casserole Recipes
What is the difference between a stew and a casserole?
Homemade stews are generally cooked on a stove in a pot of some kind, while a homemade casserole would be baked in a dish inside your oven.
Sausage and Bean Casserole - Serves 4
- 8 Italian sausages
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (deseeded and sliced)
- 8 oz (225g) canned chopped tomatoes (skinned and chopped) or 14 oz (400g) can tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato paste
- 14 oz (400g) canned cannellini beans
- Mashed potatoes or rice (to serve)
- Take a fork and prick each sausage all over.
- In a large heavy frying pan heat two tablespoons of oil.
- Add the sausages to the pan and cook gently for 10 -15 mins, turning regularly. (Make sure the sausages are cooked through).
- Take the sausages out of the pan and keep them warm. Drain off the excess oil and wipe the pan with kitchen paper.
- In the frying pan, heat the left over oil. Put the onion along with the garlic and pepper into the pan and cook whilst stirring for five mins.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer for five mins stirring now and again.
- Stir in the sun-dried tomato paste, cannellini beans and Italian sausages. Cook for 4 - 5 mins. If the mixture becomes to dry, add 4 - 5 tablespoons of water.
- Put it onto plates and serve with mashed potatoes or rice.
Potato and Lemon Casserole - Serves 4
Being a vegetarian I am always trying out new recipes and this has turned out to be one of my made up favourites.
- 3 1/2 fl oz (100ml) olive oil
- 2 red onions (cut into 8 wedges)
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 carrot (thickly sliced)
- 2 small turnips (quartered)
- 1 courgette (sliced)
- 1 lb 2 oz (500g) potatoes (thickly sliced)
- Juice and grated rind of 2 large lemons
- 10 fl oz (300ml) vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- Salt and pepper
- In a flameproof casserole dish, heat the olive oil and then saute the onions over a medium heat for 3 mins whilst stirring.
- Add the garlic to the casserole dish and cook for 30 seconds.
- Next add the ground cumin, ground coriander and cayenne pepper whilst stirring and cook for a minute.
- Now add the carrot, turnips, courgette and potatoes; stir them to coat them in oil.
- Put the lemon juice and rind and stock into the casserole dish. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook for 20-30 mins, over a medium heat, stirring now and again.
- Take off the lid and shake over the chopped fresh coriander; stir well and then serve.
We hope you enjoy our homemade stew and homemade casserole recipes. If you've tried any of these for yourself, we'd love to hear your comments. Feel free to Add your stew recipes below