Delicious Homemade Red Velvet Cake Recipe
This homemade red velvet cake recipe makes a distinctive deep red-brown cake that is as rich as it is delicious.
Regardless of the many theories as to its origin, a red velvet cake is really a lot like a Devil's Food Cake with red food coloring added to it.
No matter where it came from or how it was adapted, Red Velvet cake is still a lovely, rich cake that is not only perfect for Valentine's Day or Christmas, but is also a great treat at any time of the year.
Ingredients - Cake
- 2 1/2 cups sifted flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Ingredients - Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 8 oz (225 grams) cream cheese
- 8 oz (225 grams) Marscapone cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Before you begin your red velvet cake recipe, grease 2 round cake pans with a little butter and line the bottoms with cooking paper. Preheat your oven to 350 F (175 C).
- In a mixing bowl, sift the flour, salt and cocoa powder together. Put these aside for a moment.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar with a hand mixer until butter turns soft. The sugar will then begin to make the butter light and fluffy.
- Add one egg and beat until mixed thoroughly. Then add the other egg and beat until that one's blended in too. Add the vanilla extract and combine well into the mixture.
- Use a different container and whisk the buttermilk and the red food coloring together.
- You should have three separate bowls or containers to work with. The main bowl is the one with the sugar, butter and egg mixture. You'll be adding the other ingredients into this bowl.
- Now slowly begin to add a little of the flour mixture into the butter and egg mixture. When it's blended in, add a little of the buttermilk mixture into the butter and egg.
- Alternate between the flour and buttermilk mixtures and add a little of each at a time into the main bowl until it's all blended together.
- Combine the vinegar and baking soda together in a small cup until it fizzes. Fold this quickly into your cake mix.
- Transfer your cake mix evenly into the cake pans and smooth the tops of the cake mix with a spatula or the back of a spoon.
- Bake your cakes in your preheated oven for 30 minutes, then remove from the oven.
- Leave the cakes to cool inside the pan but on a wire rack for 10 minutes. This will help you remove the cake more easily without it crumbling and breaking at the bottom.
- After 10 minutes, remove them from the pans and cool them on wire racks.
- When they're completely cooled, wrap each cake in plastic wrap and leave them in the freezer while you make the frosting. This step will help the frosting and filling spread better without ruining or crumbling the cake.
Frosting For The Homemade Red Velvet Cake Recipe
Use a large mixing bowl and mix together the cream cheese and Marscapone with a hand blender until they're smooth. Then add the vanilla and icing sugar and blend again until the mixture is smooth.
In another bowl, blend the cream until it begins to form stiff peaks. Use a spatula to gently fold the cream into the cheese mixture.
Assembling Your Homemade Red Velvet Cake
Take your cakes out of the freezer and use a serrated knife or a bread knife to cut the cakes horizontally in half. You should now have 4 cake pieces.
Place one piece of cake onto a serving platter with the face down. Then spread the top of the first cake layer with the cheese mixture. Place another piece of cake onto the first and then spread more cheese mixture on the top. Continue making layers and then complete the cake by frosting the top and sides until the cheese mixture is gone.