by Cherlyn (Kansas)
I wanted to make some homemade horse treats for my gorgeous horse to enjoy after a good work out.
I tried a few different recipes and different types of treats and she seemed to like them okay, but this is the one she likes the most. She even speeds up a bit to get back home and then nuzzles my hand while I’m brushing her because she knows there are some yummy treats waiting for her when we’re done.
The best bit is, I know exactly what she’s eating, they’re really healthy for her and I know there are no harmful chemicals or preservatives in the treats she gets.
Here’s my horse’s favorite recipe for homemade horse treats
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/4 cups dry oats
- 1/2 cup flax seed
- 1 cup Molasses
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 mashed apple
- Turn on the oven and preheat it to 350 degrees.
- Mix together the oats, seed and flour in a large bowl. Remove the core from an apple and chop it into pieces.
- Put the apple pieces through a blender until they’re mashed.
- Stir the mashed apple through the flour mix and then stir through the molasses. If the mix is a little gooey, add a little bit more flour.
- You should end up with a sticky dough that you can shape fairly easily.
- I use a teaspoon to scoop up enough dough to make a small ball.
- Put the dough balls onto a cookie sheet and flatten them down with the back of the spoon so they make little patties.
- Bake the treats really well for around 30-40 minutes so they’re crunchy. You might need to check them to see they’re not burning.
I hope your horse loves these yummy homemade horse treats as much as my horse does.
Comments for Homemade Horse Treats