Looking for homemade body lotion recipes? How much money have you spent buying lotions for your hands, feet and the rest of your body only to find that they’re sticky or they don’t absorb properly?
When you read the list of ingredients on the label, most store-bought body lotions read like more like a chemical chart than a way to keep your skin soft and smooth.
In some cases, the chemicals included in lotions can be harsh on your skin and cause it to dry out. This means it’s having the opposite effect than the one you intended.
It’s easy to make your own lotions using healthy, chemical-free ingredients. When creating your homemade body lotion recipes you can control the herbs and essential oils you include and you can even choose your own fragrances and texture.
Making The Overnight Body Lotion
This is a very creamy and gorgeous smelling overnight body lotion. The lavender and ylang ylang essential oils have been chosen for their super relaxing qualities that will enrich both your mind and body.
This cream is extremely moisturizing and would make a beautiful gift for someone. In fact I just gave one to my sister for her birthday!
What you will need
- 1/2 oz (15g) Beeswax
- 1/2 oz (15g) Cocoa Butter
- 2 oz (50g) Coconut Oil
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) Sweet Almond Oil
- 4 tablespoons (60ml) mineral water
- 1/2 teaspoon (6ml) Lavender essential oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (4ml) Ylang Ylang essential oil
- Over a low heat, slowly melt the oils (coconut and sweet almond), beeswax and cocoa butter in a large heavy – based stainless steel saucepan.
- Use a whisk to beat the water in vigorously.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and continue stirring until the cream cools down to body temperature (37 C).
- Add the essential oils (lavender and ylang ylang) and mix thoroughly.
- Stir until cool and creamy, this will prevent the water and oil separating. Then decant into airtight jars.
- Clear jars must be kept in a dark place to preserve the essential oils.
- Before going to bed, massage the cream all over the body.
- Add a simple bow and give as a gift to a loved one!
Other Homemade Body Lotion Recipes
Aloe Vera Moisturizing Lotion
This moisturizing lotion is perfect as an after-sun lotion or as a deep moisturizing lotion for dry skin.
- Heat the aloe vera and mineral water in a double boiler, stirring slowly until they form a smooth, creamy consistency.
- Remove them from the heat and allow them to cool. Then add the peppermint oil and stir in well.
- Spoon the moisturizer into a jar or container that has a lid.
- Massage the lotion into your skin in slow, circular movements and leave on for 5 minutes. Rinse lightly with warm water if desired.
Deep Moisturizing Lotion
A lovely deep moisturizing lotion, formulated using pureed strawberries, a few carrier oils and vitamin E.
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 1 tablespoon Sunflower Oil
- 2 tablespoons Pureed Strawberries
- 2 drops Vitamin E Oil
- Puree the strawberries in a food processor or blender and leave aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, coconut oil, vegetable oil and vitamin E oil by stirring together well.
- Stir in the pureed strawberries. Pour your lotion into a sealable bottle or container.
- Massage the moisturizing lotion into your skin in slow, circular motions and leave on for 5 minutes. Rinse off in the shower under warm water. Your skin will feel rejuvenated and refreshed. Remember to store any unused lotion in a sealed bottle in the fridge. Shake the bottle well before each use.
Smooth Skin Homemade Hand Lotion
A wonderful hand lotion recipe formulated to give you lovely smooth skin.
- In a double boiler, melt the lanolin with the almond oil.
- When these are melted, add the water and remove from the heat to cool.
- Stir in the apricot oil and pour the lotion into a sealable container or bottle.
- Massage the lotion into your hands after showering or washing to keep your hands smooth and soft.
Soft Skin Lotion
- 1 cup dried Chamomile
- 4 tablespoons Honey
- 1 cup Milk
- 8 teaspoons Wheat Germ Oil
- Steep the chamomile in milk for 2 hours.
- Pour the mixture through a fine sieve or a coffee filter and discard the chamomile but keep the liquid in a small bowl.
- Stir through the honey and wheat germ and pour the entire mixture into a sealable bottle. Shake the mixture well to continue mixing.
- Smooth onto your skin before your shower. Leave the lotion on your skin for 5 minutes. Rinse it off with warm water under the shower. Your skin will be silky smooth.
- Remember to store any unused lotion in a sealed bottle in the fridge. Shake the bottle well before each use.
Soothing Foot Lotion
- 1 tablespoon Sweet Almond Oil
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Wheat Germ Oil
- 12 drops Eucalyptus essential oil
- Add all of the ingredients to a sealable container or bottle.
- Cover with a lid and shake well to combine all the oils.
- Massage the oil gently into your feet and heels to give a soothing sensation as well as keeping your skin soft and stop them from cracking.
- Store any unused portions in a cool, dry place.