Florida chicken Recipe
Took this Florida Chicken recipe from my grandmother, its light and yet filling and can be enjoyed at any time of the year. Again, the best part is that it's all made in the one pot.
Florida Chicken Ingredients
This recipe serves 4
- 1 lb (450g) skinless, boneless chicken
- 1 1/2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (cut into wedges)
- 2 celery sticks (sliced)
- 5 fl oz (150ml) orange juice
- 10 fl oz (300ml) chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1-2 teaspoons clear honey
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1 orange pepper (deseeded and chopped)
- 8 oz (225g) courgettes (sliced into half moons)
- 2 small corn on the cob (halved) or 3 Â½ oz (100g) baby Sweetcorn
- 1 orange (peeled and segmented)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
Making Florida Chicken
- Rinse the chicken lightly and then use kitchen paper to pat it dry. Then cut the chicken into bite size pieces.
- Use salt and pepper to season the flour well and then roll the chicken in the flour so it is fully coated. Reserve any leftover flour.
- In a large heavy based frying pan, heat the oil.
- Cook the chicken for about five minutes over a high heat whilst stirring.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken and put it onto a plate.
- Add onions and celery to the pan and cook for another five minutes over a medium heat, stirring regularly.
- Shake over the left over flour and cook for a further two minutes stirring all the time.
- Take the pan off the heat and then pour in the orange juice, stock, soy sauce and honey slowly, a bit at a time.
- Add the orange rind to the pan and then bring to the boil whilst stirring.
- Place the chicken back into the pan and then turn down the heat.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring now and again.
- Next add the orange pepper, courgettes and corn on the cob to the pan. Leave to simmer for another ten minutes.
- Add the segments of orange and stir well. Heat for one minute.
- Garnish with parsley and then serve.